Who doesn’t like starting their day off with a flavorful and fresh smoothie?
If you self-identify as a smoothie fan and have a goal of achieving better gut health, why not aim to include ingredients that can accomplish just that?
Read on to learn more about three smoothie ingredients that ensure better digestive and gut health, as well as three recipes that include these ingredients.
#1: Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar has been a bit of a rockstar ingredient in the health food movement these past few years.
From lowering blood sugar levels to detoxing your body and balancing pH, there are a lot of ways that apple cider vinegar can be used.
When it comes to digestion, small doses of apple cider vinegar can reduce gas and combat constipation because it stimulates digestive juices that help in the breakdown of food.
Make a delicious Blueberry Banana Cinnamon smoothie for breakfast by using the following recipe…
- 1 cup kale or spinach
- 1 frozen banana
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 5.3 oz container plain almond milk yogurt (Silk or Kite Hill)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup water
Place all the ingredients in a blender, and mix until smooth.
#2: Peppermint Leaves
Peppermint leaves contain oils that activate your gallbladder to release bile that your body uses to digest fats and relieve spasms in the gastrointestinal tract.
This will decrease gas and bloating, allowing you to focus on living well without bothersome discomfort in your stomach.
Use mint leaves to make a delicious Strawberry Mint Green Smoothie. See how below…
- 1 cup water
- 1 fresh or frozen medium banana
- 1 cup fresh or frozen strawberries
- 1 cup spinach, kale, or other leafy green
- 1 tablespoon dried and powdered down mint leaves, or 6-8 fresh mint leaves
- A little honey, maple syrup, or stevia to sweeten (optional)
Place all of the ingredients into your high-speed blender and blend away for around 30-45 seconds or until nice and smooth.
#3: Coconut Yogurt
The human microbiome is an ecological community of cells that can be found in our intestines and in other parts of our bodies.
Probiotics such as coconut yogurt can make sure this microbiome continues to function properly.
Why not give this Coconut Banana Dream Smoothie a whirl?
- ¼ Cup unsweetened coconut yogurt
- 1 Cup coconut milk
- 1 Large banana, frozen
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
- Add the coconut yogurt, coconut milk, banana and vanilla extract to the blender.
- Starting the blender on a low speed, blend until smooth. If needed gradually increase to higher speeds and blend until smooth.