Small children often get ear infections, and worried parents rush to the doctor for yet another round of antibiotics. Of course, this leads to antibiotic resistance, which means that your children are put on increasingly powerful drugs. Adults take far too many pills also, without paying attention to other remedies.
We have become dependent on antibiotics, and we are now dealing with antibiotic-resistant infections that kill—and it’s our own fault. Do not give your children antibiotics (or take them yourself) when there are other options. Antibiotics should be your last resort, not your first line of defense.
Ear infections can be treated with homeopathic remedies instead of drugs. Infections of the ear can have several causes. Allergies or tonsil swelling may block the Eustachian tubes, building up fluid in the inner ear. Fungus or bacteria can infect the outer ear, which causes “swimmer’s ear”. These two causes are fairly well known and common.
However, one more cause is virtually unknown. Ear infections are often related to a food allergy or sensitivity, so the first step in treatment is to identify the food culprit(s) through blood testing or an elimination diet. Any foods that may cause a reaction are removed from the diet for 2 weeks and then reintroduced separately and slowly to see what reactions may occur.
An often-overlooked part of ear infections is the gut, which is where most of the immune system is. If you or your child has had multiple rounds of antibiotics, you need to increase the levels of good bacteria in the digestive tract. Failing to do this can lead to even more ear infections as well as more food sensitivities, which causes more ear infections. A vicious cycle, indeed.
In addition to good quality, high potency probiotics like the HMF brand that we recommend, I would also suggest omega-3 essential fatty acids, Vitamin D (actually not a vitamin, but a very important hormone that is essential for proper immune function), and of course Juice Plus+.
Here at Carolinas Natural Health, we do an in-depth intake to understand symptoms and identify the correct remedy. We use homeopathy to treat the whole person, correcting or removing susceptibility and improving health, which means no more ear infections.
We offer several homeopathic remedies, depending on the nature and symptoms of the earache:
- Magnesia phosphoric works for a “dry” earache that improves with pressure and warmth.
- Belladonna is used for intense earaches that come on suddenly with a fever. You or your child typically has a fever or restlessness.
- Hepar Sulphuris is indicated for an irritable patient suffering from a severe, advanced earache with stabbing pain, possibly accompanied by pus.
- Pulsatilla is a good remedy for children getting over a cold. If you see green or yellow discharge from the ears or nose, with sadness and weepiness, this is what we’ll prescribe.
- If you know the beginning signs of ear infection, Ferrum phosphoricum can reduce or stop inflammation and pain.
- Mercurius solubilis is often prescribed for advanced ear infections with pus and roaring in the ear.
If you’d like to find out more about homeopathic ear infection remedies, contact us today for a consultation.